Friday, January 7, 2011

Beth Revis- TBT

Hey guys, today we've got Beth Revis, author of Across the Universe, stopping by the PoC.

--

Welcome to Points of Claire-ification, Beth. Tell us a little bit about your book.


It's a murder mystery set in space! ACROSS THE UNIVERSE is told from two points of view--one from Amy, a girl from Earth who was cryogenically frozen in order to travel to a new planet, and the other is Elder, a boy born as part of the crew of the ship, destined to be the next leader. When Amy wakes early, she and Elder have to figure out who's unplugging and killing the other frozens before the murderer gets to Amy's parents.

Okay. Let’s see if I got this right. Sci-fi with elements of mystery, dystopian and romance. Wowsers! Where did the idea come from?

Oh, I can't tell you! The entire novel came from one plot twist--one sentence, really. I had the idea for that sentence, and everything else--the setting, the characters, the plot, the tone, everything--came from that one idea.

What are you favourite things about the book?

That my name is on the cover! I've dreamt about publishing a book for so long that seeing that is really and truly a dream come true. As for the physical book, I *LOVE* that the dust jacket is reversible, and that the ship's logo is embossed on the hardback cover.

How did the writing process go? Pantser or plotter?

I am 100% a pantser. I don't know how the book will end until I get there. Beyond the one plot twist, I didn't know anything else until I actually wrote it.

Merrilee Heifetz at the prestigious Writer’s House! How did you find your agent? Why did you choose her?

I got my agent the old-fashioned way--straight out of the slush pile. It was just a regular query sent along with all the rest. As for why I chose her...how could I not? She's my dream agent!

Across the Universe is not your first manuscript. What pearls of inspiration do you have for as-yet unpublished (or unagented or un-havingofanovelofpublishablequality –that’s me!) writers? Any general advice?


Write the next book. I have a few writer friends who've spent a decade or more on a book that hasn't sold. It took me a decade--and ten books--to write a book that would sell. I never spent more than a year on a book. Why spend more than a year on something that doesn't work? And besides, my attitude has always been--you can't expect an artist to sell his first painting. It's just as rare for a first book to be a masterpiece.

And finally, Star Wars or Star Trek?

Old school Star Wars, new school Star Trek.

COP OUT! lol!

Thank you for joining us, Beth.


Thanks for interviewing me!

--

You can win a copy of Beth Revis' Across the Universe by commenting on this post by next Wednesday at 11.59 EST. Don't worry if you don't win. The book is out on January 11- 11.1.11 or 1.11.11 depending on where you're from.

This contest is open internationally. You don't need ot be a follower to enter.

7 comments:

Abby Stevens said...

I am so excited about this book - I would LOVE to win a copy. And I agree with Beth - the fact the cover is reversible is SO cool!

Thanks for the awesome interview, Beth and Claire!

Alleged Author said...

What a great interview! I always love to read the about the process. Much luck to Ms. Revis!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Two of my favorite bloggers sharing an interview--what could be better? Thank you both. I'm so glad Beth is nudging people to write the next book and the next. It can only make us get better at the craft.
1-11-11 is the just the most awesome release date.

Joanna St. James said...

kewl I have heard a lot about beth Revis but this is the first time i am reading her interview.
She sounds direct and gives awesome advice too

Unknown said...

Thank you for doing the interview!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great interview. I love Beth's answer as to her favorite part of the book. I'd love to win a copy. And Happy New Year!

Kulsuma said...

I can't wait to read Across The Universe! It sounds so unique. As for me, I prefer Star Trek:) Thank you for the giveaway!
k_anon[at]hotmail[dot]co[dot]uk