Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014 - Sunny Bonds

Hello luvvies!

Happy Year of the Horsie! I hope you all have a stupendous 2014 filled with amazing things that you can't even begin to imagine.

I tend not to make New Year's Resolutions as they're notorious for getting broken and I generally have the attention span of a fruit fly. BUT I do like to start my year out with some goals (which I would theoretically look back on and see how I've grown over the year, but never actually do) and/or themes (previously there's been the Year of Living Write and the Year of the Sparkle Dragon).

Theme 1: Sunny

This one isn't quite about 2014. My birthday is December 15, and I also like to theme each year of my life. It almost coincides with the start of the year, so I've decided to mention it in this post. Why sunny? It's from Japanese. I'm 32. 3 is san. 2 is ni. Put that together and it sounds like sunny. And so I've decided to make 32 the year of sunny. I'm going to try to look on the bright side even more, to keep smiling, to keep trying to make myself the best me I can be and therefore make the world a better place.

Plus it's the Year of the Horse in the Chinese Zodiac. When better to ride off into the sunset?

Theme 2: Bonds

This is going to be my main theme for the year. In the Year of Living Write was about my need to develop my writing, the Year of the Sparkle Dragon arose out of it being the Year of the Dragon. I was trying to decide what I should with 2014 when it decided for itself. On January 1st, my brother arrived at the airport here. This is a big deal because my brother and I have always been like two seperate planets orbiting around our parents. But even moreso because I can't remember the last time I'd seen my brother. He lives in a different country and I live in a different hemisphere, so we kind of play musical countries.

If it had been just my brother, I might not have heard what 2014 was trying to tell me. But then my sister came into play. Biologically, there are just the two of us, my brother and I, but years and years and years ago, I had a sister. A foster sister. Things were probably complicated, but I was little and I didn't understand, and I don't really want to ask the tough questions now, so I have no explanations. But for whatever reason my foster sister disappeared out of my life.Then on New Year's Day, after about 20 years, she found me on Facebook. I can't say that I was traumatised to lose her as a kid - my memory sucks - but I was ecstatic to reconnect as an adult.

For these two things to suddenly occur on the same day; it wasn't something I could ignore. 2014 is about bonds. I'm even getting a new sister-in-law, and I hadn't met her before. I hadn't thought about it until until after January 1, but that's a bond as well. I want to build a better bond with my brother and a new bond with my sister. And I want to extend this bond-building and development to everybody in my life. Who knows, maybe I'll even develop better bonds with you guys!

Plus, I caught the bouquet at my best friend's wedding. I suppose I should develop the bond with my boyfriend... when I find him.

What about you guys? What are your resolutions, goals and themes for 2014?

1 comment:

Patti said...

I like your Sunny theme. I may have to adopt that one. Congratulations on finding your foster sister.