Monday, January 27, 2014

Moments - Monday on my Mind

I went home for Christmas. Well, I actually went for a wedding. My brother and his fiancee were also in the island for a different wedding. Barring being on two different coasts of North America in August, it was the first time in 6 years or more that my brother and I have been in the same country. Then randomly, my foster sister re-appeared. And close Canadian friends were also in. So my mother decided to have a gathering at our house. It was quite literally a group of people that had never been in the same place together.

I had a really great time. Reconnecting with my sister and meeting her family. Joking with my cousins. Showing off my banana bread - which came out even awesomer than usual having been baked in an oven and not a microwave with an semi-oven-function. I six-loved my Dad for the first time ever in dominoes. (Won six games to his none.) This is a really big thing because my Dad is a domino-aholic, he's been playing for years and has even managed the National Team!

Only the next day, did my mother point out that noone had remembered to take any photos. Seriously, an unprecented event and no pics. In the Facebook age of "pics-or-it-didn't-happen" this is pure, unadultered blasphemy.

For a while, I was quite disappointed. I mean, I'm 32 and my brother is 28, and I don't think there are any pictures of us together as adults. And I don't think there are any pictures of me and my sister in existence. So, it hit me hard for a minute that I hadn't thought to take pictures.

But then, it dawned on me why I don't have any pictures of that night. I was having way too much fun. It was one of the most amazing nights of my life. I was so full of love and happiness that I felt like I might burst. I'm still disappointed there are no pictures, but nothing compares to a moment that big.


As soon as I realised that, I could help wishing for more moments. Moments so mesmerising that I don't remember to take myself out of them to preserve them. Moments so deep all the oceans in the world can't hold them. Moments so big, they pierce the sky.

Because life - it isn't really about years or months or even days. It's about moments.


No comments: