Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Road to MFA: The Shortlist (waw)

In case you haven't figured it out by now, I'm in the market for an MFA in Creative Writing.

I've been researching low-residency programs, because I don't think I can afford to just wander off work financially. My undergraduate degree is in foreign languages so I don't see anyone giving me an internship to teach Writing or English, and if I get a loan now, it may prevent me from getting one for my Doctorate.

Low residency programs generally require you to go to a 10 day residency once or twice a year, and the rest is done online.

Here are my top choices. so far, along with the reason I chose them.

1. UBC- University of British Columbia, British Columbia
PROs
one optional residency per year, translation as a genre, 7 genres to choose from
BUT:
3.0 Undergraduate GPA is required (I have a 2.7)

2. University of New Orleans
PROs
one residency a year in MEXICO!!!, literature courses
BUT:
The residency lasts a whole month and Mexico would a pain to get to from Japan. Plus they ask for GRE (ARGH!)

3. Rainier at Pacific Lutheran University (Washington).
PROs
One residency a year, $8700 USD/yr including residency accommodation, Washington is easy to get to from Japan.
BUT:
Takes 3 years and getting to Washington, after my return to Barbados, would be pretty difficult.

4. Spalding (Kentucky)
PROs
Summer semesters are all over the world, Possibility of funding
BUT:
Residencies are at odd times (late May, November, early March) and I'm a teacher. Plus, the summer semester plan takes 4 years. Spring and Fall residencies in Kentucky (from outside the US, Kentucky is a pain to get to.)

5. Vermont College of Fine Arts
PROs
Possibility of dual concentration with translation, fantastic program
BUT:
To get to Montpelier, VT I'd have to fly to NYC or BOS and take a bus, or fly through one of them to Burlington, and still take a bus.

So that's my top 5. I'm not applying until August at the earliest and I won't start until next summer, but I get carried away pretty easily! :)

1 comment:

Julia said...

Theirs nothing wrong with being excited and prepared! :)

This list is pretty awesome, there is a lot to think about!

I am excited for you!

:)

Julia
http://jewliagoulia.blogspot.com