This year, I actually made some resolutions. Before moving into 2012, I wanted to review how well I've done with them.
A quick recap
1. Save money.
2. Advance my WIP every month.
3. Take a novel through the full pre-query process.
4. Read one book a week.
5. Vary my reading
6. Review every book I read.
7. Give away a book every week.
1. Er, yeah. Pro: I've saved more money this year than in 2010. Con: It's still not that much.
2. While I did write a lot more, I did not advance a WIP every month. On the other hand, I did complete a few shorts this year, and had one non-fiction piece appear in an anthology. My fiction will be out in an upcoming Japan YA anthology in March.
3. Lol. Still have not completed an edit, or had a full critique or anything. Maybe this year.
4. Finally, a category I dominated. Not only did I read a book per week, I finished the year on 116 books!
5. I made a real effort to vary what I read
- 76 books were Young Adult
- 10 books were Middle Grade
- 11 books had MCs of colour
- 8 books were Chick Lit
- 5 books were classics
- 1 book was a picture book
and some randoms.
6. I did a fairly good job of reviewing most of the books I read. There were a few I didn't review, because I felt pretty middle of the road about them.
7. I did not give away a book every week. But I did, considering the October Insanity, manage to give away 52 books. 1 PER week. I hope that the winners all enjoyed their books.
Here's looking forward to another fantastic year. I'll be back soon with my 2012 goals.
Happy New Year folks!
PS, It's already the New Year in Japan. I've been up to the temple and rung the gong. And also I've already fell off the road into a snow-covered ditch, because who can tell where the road ends and where the ditch begins under all that snow. Off and running :)