Monday, January 16, 2012

24 hours from Hell and Heaven

There aren't any words to describe the last 24 hours, so I'm going to just tell you what happened.

Last night, I turned half my house into an ice rink! I guess it was kharma's way of getting back at me for grumbling about the cold last Monday.

It all started when I attempted to wash a load of laundry, forgetting that you only do laundry at midday in winter. I boiled water and defrosted the drain and the washing machine hose like a good girl. But apparently, I didn't defrost it well enough, and it overflowed into the shower room (toilet rooms are usually seperate here) and the kitchen.

Needless to say, I was pissed. I'm pretty sure it would be illegal to rent this house to anyone in most other winter countries. I mean, have you ever heard of someone defrosting their washing machine? And normally, I'm fine with the cold, but I'm tired of things breaking and freezing, that weren't meant to break or freeze.

I needed to vent. I tried calling a few friends back home, but they were all unavailable. I think that's the straw that broke the camel's back. I wasn't angry at them. But you can't guarantee anyone's availability but your own. I went into recluse mood. I switched off Facebook, all my IM programs, Skype, my cell. I decided I didn't need anybody at all.

As for the kitchen/ shower room, I had two choices, I could go trying to clean it up in the night and get frostbite, or let it freeze overnight, and defrost/mop in the morning. Y'all know which one I chose.

I woke up in a generally bad mood. I entered the shower room through the side door, bypassing the kitchen, and defrosted enough of it to be able to shower. Then I went to the mini mart for breakfast, because cooking while standing on a sheet of ice sounded like asking for trouble. Then I went to the office and talked my coworker's ear off.

I really, really, really didn't want to go to the municipal gym this evening. I only went because exercise helps bipolar disease, and last night's funk could easily slide into a depression. I walked into the training room and they were playing Madonna's "4 Minutes!"

Y'all don't even know how much of a change that is. The gym normally plays what I call 80's Dance Fab. My favourite track on the CD they're stuck on is Sinitta's "Cross My Broken Heart" (1987).

Seriously, she's wearing a unitard-dress. Oh 80's!
(Random fact: She dated Simon Cowell as a teen!)

Anyhow, someone must have bought the town a new CD, because I ended up working out to JT, Rihanna, Gnarls Barkley, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Pussycat Dolls and more. And, as I was the only one in the gym, I was totally belting them out between sets.

To top it off, one of the ladies from my English class, works there, and she gave me a ride home. (Normally have to take a taxi.) I'd only been home long enough to set up tomorrow's Hip Hop Dance class outfit to defrost (again, not kidding) when the postman knocked. (My doorbell is also broken. Sheesh, what isn't wrong with my house. lol.) He was bearing gifts. My birthday and Christmas presents to myself. The Complete Series of Dawson's Creek and Gilmore Girls!!! I'm such a 90's child.

I hope your day goes well! I'm off to hang with Rory and Lorelai.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got back from Tokyo and am currently in the Hell phase. Srsly can we start bugging them about this?

Also I'm afraid to use my washing machine now ;_;

-a neighbour

Colene Murphy said...

What!? That sounds insane! I'm so sorry! I hope today has treated you better and the week perks up...wow...defrosting your washing machine...I can't ever complain again about the cold here.

Kristin Lenz said...

Good grief! I've never heard of defrosting a washing machine. I had a pipe freeze and burst at my house a few years ago (Michigan), flooding the basement - do not want to go through that again. Good luck!