Monday, September 27, 2010

Tweet Tweet and Library War

Firstly, I'd just like to announce that I'm now on TWITTER!!! Yeah, finally. @ClaireDawn. Don't worry, I won't fill up your inboxes with every single thing I've eaten for the day. Feel free to join me. Or not.

A couple Friday's ago, I decided to pick up a few DVD's at the library. I think my library is the coolest. There are no English books. BUT it's the most borrowed from (per capita) library in all of Tohoku (the 6 prefectures of this region) and no 26 in all of Japan. And of course they rent DVDs.

So I picked up LIBRARY WAR. My Japanese is not good enough that I always get everything. And some stuff is harder than others. I watched the first two episodes without really knowing what was going on. A girl was in a bookstore when armed officers came in and starting throwing the books away. Then another guy came in, showed a badge and stopped the officers from fighting with the girl over a book she wanted to buy. The girl went on to do military training and join the Library Task Force.


I had to go to wikipedia, to really get what it was about, since the DVD I got from the library had no subtitles.

Here's the premise. In Japan, there's a Freedom of Information act which says that noone can censor libraries. In the anime/manga LIBRARY WAR, the National government passes another law to throw away any material that may corrupt society. This armed force is called the MBA. Local governments form anti-MBA forces to protect books. There is all out fighting, automatic weapons, helicopters, and libraries! What more could you ask for in Banned Books Week?

If you're interested, click on the linky for episode 1, subbed in English. Whether or not you're into anime, you should try to read a banned book this week. And feel free to join THMafi and Le Rejectionist and review your fave banned book on Thursday.

Also, don't forget, you've got til 11.59 to enter the WHEN ROSE WAKES giveaway.

And until Wednesday to enter the Banned Books giveaway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a cool show. My japanese is rusty so I'm not sure how much I'll understand but I'll give it a go.

CD

Marsha Sigman said...

That sounds so cool and really it's similar to my wip.lol

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Wow. You found a truly unique way to bring up Banned Books Week. I'm so happy to hear that Japan doesn't allow censorship of libraries.