Monday, January 4, 2010

Bajan songstresses take the world by storm! (MomM)

I am a Barbadian, or Bajan as we call ourselves. I come from the most Easterly of the islands of the Caribbean, Barbados.

Ten years ago, if you knew Barbados, it was because you wanted to vacation or retire there.

Now, you might know it because of one of 3 powerhouses who call the island home! Probably for the first time ever, 3 Barbadian singers have been on the International music charts.

1. Rihanna (Robyn Rihanna Fenty)

She broke onto the scene back in 2005 with "Pon de Replay". This year she made headlines after a public altercation with then-boyfriend, Chris Brown the night before the grammies.

This year she charted on the Jay-Z/Kanye collab "Run this Town" and on T.I's "Live your life"
and then on her very own "Russian Roulette".



2. Shontelle (Shontelle Layne)
The next Bajan Diva to burst onto the scene was singer-songwriter, Shontelle. She released her debut album "Shontelligence" last year. The lead single "T-shirt" made the Top 10 in the UK. She opened for Beyonce on the UK leg of the tour. This year she collaborated with Akon for "Stuch with Each Other" featured on the Confessions of a Shopaholic soundtrack. (PS I actually went to school with Shontelle. My brother went to school with Rihanna. Wow, that makes Barbados sound really small, doesn't it? lol)



3. Livvi Franc (Olivia Charlotte Waithe)

British-Barbadian Livvi Franc released her first single "Now I'm that Bitch" in mid 2009. The video, featuring Pitbull, is CRAZY HOT!!!



I also love her song "Free" because it feels like Barbados to me.



Barbados: 270,000 people (yes, we're one of the densest populations in the world), 14 miles by 21- 166 square... just a little rock... but I'm so proud to call myself a Bajan!

No comments: