Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Twelve Pounds of Christmas

Christmas is the time of year when people gather round their loved ones and celebrate the Birth of Jesus Christ. For some, less religious or not religious at all, it's a time to see people they haven't seen in a while and to exchange presents with those who are important to them.

But for weightwatchers everywhere, Christmas is a dance with the devil.



Things like these appear on tables across the world, tempting people who've avoided over-eating all year round. 'Tis the season for packing on the pounds.

Maybe as a direct result of Christmas, one of the most popular New Year's Resolutions is weight-loss/fitness/diet. As a said earlier, I don't do resolutions for New Year's, but I am at the point where I need to make a revolution with several things in my life.

I gained 6 kilos over Christmas- that's about 13 pounds for those of you who need the conversion. Thir-frikking-teen!!! I don't know how. I didn't overeat. I guess it must have to do with the fac that I ate more sweets and drank more wine than I usually do, as well as eating more meat (Japan is a starch country).

Whatever the reason, the recent scale-tipping activity has forced me to get back on the fitness bandwagon.

Just yesterday, I discovered a new fitness program, the Fat Burning Furnace. I'm pretty excited, because some of the things the guy is saying line up with things I've known for years. Like the secret to diet, is not to starve or eat low carbs or low protein or only grapefruits, but to eat the correct number of calories, every day. And the secret to weight loss? Intensity. I'm not going to give away all the secrets, but it definitely piqued my interest. I'm going to try to put in 12 weeks with this program and see wear it gets me.

Hopefully, I'll never have to worry about the twelve pounds of Christmas again.

No comments: